“Rules. It’s what separates us from the animals.”
There is no longer an excuse to simply not be awful. You must also be anti-awful.
To begin, I understand the need to acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we’ll meet, and the deep historical influence they’ve had and continue to have on musical culture and stories – an Acknowledgement Of Country appears, and has always appeared, on every page of this website.
The rest of this commitment – taken verbatim from dontbethatguy.com.au – is an acknowledgement that there are systemic and harmful power imbalances within the music industry, and a commitment to help create change. I acknowledge specifically that those issues often relate to gender, sexuality, ethnicity, minority status, age and ability.
With regards to all my future gatherings and communications with others:
- I commit to being aware of issues relating to gender, sexuality, ethnicity, minority status, age and ability in the music industry and working to actively create a professional, comfortable and safe environment free from discrimination, harassment or abuse.
- I will not place unnecessary attention on, or discriminate based on a person’s gender, race, ability, age, sexuality, career status or on any other personal or cultural attribute.
- I will respect physical boundaries and space at all times
- I will not engage in any acts of sexual harassment including unwanted, unwelcome or uninvited behaviour or conversation of a sexual nature, which is likely to make a person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated.
- I will ensure I have parental or guardian consent for any and all commercial dealings with minors, and be aware that behaviour and language should be adjusted accordingly.
- I will not deny appropriate opportunities based on a person’s age, health, ability or immune status, and will take reasonable measures should special provisions be required.
- I will conduct any communication or engagement, both prior and post our meetings, in a professional, respectful and confidential manner.
- I will follow and/or establish guidelines where needed with respect to ethnicity or cultural protocols, engage subject matter experts with lived experience in discussions relating to minority status, and ensure First Nations leadership and inclusion when required.
- I will support the agency and autonomy of all to self-determine their own futures, including trans and gender diverse people and will challenge homophobia and transphobia when I see it.
- If unsure, I will offer my own pronouns (he/she/they/etc) when introducing myself, before asking how others identify themselves.
- I acknowledge I have a duty of care in reporting or raising any incidents should they arise, upholding confidentiality and taking into consideration the safety and mental wellbeing of all parties in discussing such incidents.
DISCLAIMER (again, this is verbatim from dontbethatguy.com.au)
This document is not legally binding and is intended as a guide only. It does not anticipate every situation that might occur with respect to gender, sexuality, ethnicity, age, ability or other minority status, and the needs of each participant should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. In all cases, the goal is to ensure the safety, respect, comfort and accountability of all participants in all meetings and collaborative environments within the music industry.